Err, yes, poppies are where we get opium from

A DJ died after drinking home made poppy tea using a recipe he found online, an inquest heard.

Paul Dalling, 27, brewed the deadly concoction using poppy seeds, thinking he would produce a “pleasant” drowsy effect.

But Mr Dalling drank a pint of the tea causing his central nervous system to shut down, killing him.

It was, to all intents and purposes, an opium overdose.

It’s the same damn thing that happens when a terminal cancer patient is given that just a bit too much morphine or heroin to ease the pain.

Coroner Mark Layton said: “Drinking poppy tea is potentially fatal. “It is impossible to gauge the dosage as the strength varies from plant to plant.”

Yup, rather the reason that we’d like to have all this stuff legal and dose controlled.

7 comments on “Err, yes, poppies are where we get opium from

  1. So should I warn my mother-in-law, who has a particular liking for poppy seed-topped rolls?

    Nah. ;-)

  2. In another report, I read that this guy drank a pint of this tea. This is surely a staggeringly stupid thing to do if you do not know the concentration and there are no signs that this man was an analytical chemist.

  3. So should I warn my mother-in-law, who has a particular liking for poppy seed-topped rolls?

    Not unless her baker has a really sick sense of humour.

  4. Diogenes-

    I daresay that he was suffering the commonplace delusion that “natural” things can’t be bad for you, not like those nasty “chemicals” from Big Pharma.

  5. Offshore Observer

    Is this an example of our society’s stupid attitude towards drugs? How could taking an opiate do anything to improve the performanace of an elite athlete?

Leave a Reply

Name and email are required. Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>