I do hope this discussion continues

Richard Murphy says:
August 20 2019 at 10:20 am
The UK has reasonable residence rules now: I have to say that as I helped shape them

We simply do not need domicile to be fair to those arriving or temporary residents : tho0se issues are covered without alternation being required

There is no base cost to entry for people now and there would not be from the change

Laurence Parry says:
August 20 2019 at 10:34 am
I also helped draft the residence rules (apart from the split year treatment, which is rubbish)

Richard Murphy says:
August 20 2019 at 11:02 am
I do not recall your involvement

18 comments on “I do hope this discussion continues

1. Draft implies participation. Shape involves merely writing something and having it picked up by the drafters, or just a coincidence.

2. Capt. Potato: “I created the universe”

God: “Oh, I thought that was me”

Capt. P.: “I don’t recall your involvement and anyway you are a neo-liberal construct”.

3. “the-public-like-the-idea-of-abolishing-the-non-dom-rule”

Which public is this? Be a surprise if more than one in a thousand have even heard of it. Let alone know anything about it. Why would they?

4. By “helped shape”, I imagine Murphy perhaps means he once replied to a consultative document issued by HMRC or something similar.

And if that’s what he did, I further imagine the HMRC reviewer squeezing his comments into a little ball of paper and lobbing into nearest bin with an accompanying “FFS!”

5. “Personal interests

Laurence enjoys watching all sports and gave up playing cricket badly to enjoying playing golf (equally badly). Laurence enjoys eating out and emptying and restocking his growing wine cellar. This necessarily means he also has to spend time in the gym.”

Richard enjoys playing with model trains & touring concentration camps. He also regularly performs strenuous personal activities which we’d rather not talk about

6. Should be grateful for small mercies I suppose

Ronald AlexanderMcDonald says:

August 20 2019 at 1:23 pm

I would say impossible to disagree with.
    Any chance you would join the SNP and become their financial spokesman?

Richard Murphy says:

August 20 2019 at 1:32 pm

Not my style of working

7. I don’t think there is anything or anyone in the Universe that Murphy would find “impossible to disagree with”

8. So now Richard Murphy has reached the hallucinating phase of his life…

He seems to be on the verge of become the William McGonagall of accounting, economics and public policy.

9. Noel Scoper said:
    “Here is a comment referring directly to the Statutory Residence test in 2015. Does Richard say “I helped shape that?”. No, just “looked at it” in 2009.

Noel, Murphy’s comment there says “I remember working on some of that stuff a long time ago…..Well, 2009/10”. Are you sure it said “looked at” when you read it? Has he changed it to help bolster his case? Surely even he wouldn’t do that?

10. I happen to know the person who actually drafted the ‘new’ residence rules, and it definitely wasn’t Murphy, or Mr Parry.

Apart from anything else, she’s a woman.

11. RichardT

But the drafter would never work alone, they receive much input form people like… well, like Lawrence Parry. And he definitely was there or there about, his CV tells us just that. Similarly an individual called Ronald Macdonald may well have been around at that time. And an individual called Richard Murphy may well not have been

12. “Richard Murphy says:

August 20 2019 at 1:32 pm

Not my style of working …….. because they have the temerity to disagree with me and I can’t block them.”

Finished that for him.