Not sure I actually beleive this (although of course my anecdotal data point doesn\’t outweight the science):
Drinking too many sugary soft drinks and fruit juices can substantially increase the risk of gout, scientists say in a report published today.
Researchers found that the risks associated with these drinks were higher than with certain types of alcohol, overindulgence in which is seen as a traditional cause of the painful joint disease.
The two times I\’ve had a twinge of gout have been as a result of extended periods of rich food and rich wines. They\’ve most certainly not been as a reult of an extra litre of fruit juice.
Attacks of gout, which are caused by too much uric acid in the body, usually start in the toe but affect the joints most severely as this is where the acid lies and crystallises. Dieticians traditionally advise sufferers, of whom there are about 600,000 in Britain, to restrict their intake of purines – chemicals found in meat and alcohol that turn into uric acid.
But many soft drinks and fruit juices contain large amounts of fructose, a naturally occurring sugar that can increase uric acid levels.
But at least now I know that if I get it again,. it\’s water, not juice, for me.