Tom Petty, the much-loved American rock star who passed away in October, died from an accidental drug overdose, it was revealed on Friday.
The music legend, best known for hits such as “Free Fallin'” and “American Girl”, died at the age of 66 after a “mixed toxicity” of a variety of medications, the Los Angeles County Medical Examiner’s office said.
Dana and Adria Petty, his wife and daughter, shared the results of the autopsy, which revealed the presence in his body of fentanyl, oxycodone, temazepam, alprazolam, citalopram, acetyl fentanyl, and despropionyl fentanyl.
“Unfortunately Tom’s body suffered from many serious ailments including emphysema, knee problems and most significantly a fractured hip,” they said in a statement.
“Despite this painful injury he insisted on keeping his commitment to his fans and he toured for 53 dates with a fractured hip and, as he did, it worsened to a more serious injury.
Sounds a bit Michael Jackson to have been getting all those from the doctors, doesn’t it?