WooHoo! We get to fire 20% of the civil service!

According to one appraisal document, seen by The Telegraph, an official was told they were expected to spend 20 per cent of their “corporate objective” time working within “corporate identity networks”. According to a source, a corporate objective is defined as a “work objective that contributes to building an inclusive Civil Service”.

The official was told to spend five per cent of their corporate objective time participating in a “non-binary” network which included attending a “gender non-conforming book club” and celebrating “Non-Binary Awareness Week”. The official told The Telegraph: “I was hired to do trade policy and yet the taxpayer pays me to waste 20 per cent of my corporate work time on this crap.”

If 20% of time is spent mumbling about pronouns then we need 20% fewer civil servants, don’t we?

15 thoughts on “WooHoo! We get to fire 20% of the civil service!”

  1. Since they’ve been directed to waste time on this bullshit, the purge must start at the top!!!!!

  2. The Meissen Bison

    I’d go further and ask if 20% of the time can be squandered whether the other 80% is useful or necessary?

  3. We don’t need 20% fewer civil servants.

    We need 95% fewer civil servants, and the other 5% should be worried for their jobs.

  4. And they’ve all been implementing the policies of the Green pollie who now represents my electorate, TtC.

  5. The corporation I work for is somewhere in this realm. An entire third of our performance reviews includes a section on how we are promoting social justice in some form or another.

    An example they give is something along the lines of “I helped someone who belongs to a different group than me.” I always half-ass it and write, “I trained staff.”

    We also get emails at least once a month blabbering on about supporting the current thing, so the busy idiots can feel like they accomplished anything meaningful. We recently got an email about an upcoming meeting with HR to discuss anything from “our recent office move to Roe v. Wade).” What kind of loser discusses politics with HR is beyond me. Our latest email was about the Texas shooting, “reaching out to remind you that our health plan offers counseling…” and more stuff that only a complete loser would need from an employer. We’re in New York City, and the likelihood of our handful of Texas-born employees having any connection to a town as small as Uvalde is negligible. That didn’t stop management from suggesting all-liberal, all-anti-Second-Amendment lobbying groups to donate to. From now on, I’ll be making a donation to the local Republican club every time I receive such an email, or to people affected by a tragedy if they are not receiving substantial help already.

    Of course, I never saw an email about the attacks against Jews throughout the U.S., including more than one in Manhattan…you know, our company’s own backyard. I think it was because they didn’t want to piss off any Muslim employees. It was animals carrying Palestinian flags who did the attacking, you see. Not at a protest, just went to the Diamond District and beat up random orthodox Jews wearing yarmulkes, so not the best PR. Management had time to let us know they’ll provide transportation whenever we get abortions, though!

    That’s the problem with being woke. The political spectrum is not a straight line, but a circle, and you eventually work your way around to being exclusionary anyway. Just stop getting involved in your employees’ lives, get the job done and get the fuck out of the office.

  6. And yes, we’ve been hemorrhaging employees. I went through 3 supervisors within 5 months last year, because they kept leaving for other agencies.

    I get recruiters reaching out everyday, but I know it’ll just be another agency with the same bullshit, so actually looking to pivot my career at this point. Digital marketing is dead.

  7. 20&? If we “lost” 50% of the civil service would anybody notice? It would be interesting to test Parkinson’s law in reverse!

  8. This is all wrong.
    It should be 100% of the time spent on all this stuff.
    Then they won’t have any time to generate or enforce any useless regulations on the rest of us.
    We can offer jobs to the XR here as well.

    They’ll be happy as they get to spend hours signalling to each other how much better they are than us mere plebs.
    We’ll be happy because they’ll leave us the fuck alone as they won’t have any time to actually do anything.

  9. @Chris, do we pay them to do nothing or put them on the dole to do nothing. Not much difference.

  10. I would have thought the people who work in the civil service would be the type of people who would thrive in a different environment, so why would dole come into it?

  11. Some bloke on't t'internet

    Hmm, looks like not a single CS in the commenters so far. So I’ll stick my head above the parapet …
    The “civil service” is indeed huge – something like 200+ departments/organisations. And we cover a wide range of activities. Personally, I’m an engineer – and proud of that. My organisation is basically a large procurer of engineering stuff used by defence (I won’t go any more detailed than that other than “not involved in Ajax !”). We work hard, to tight deadlines, and high standards – the lives of many people depend on us getting it right.
    Last time I asked, our organisation had something close to 1/5 of it’s posts unfilled – and it shows. I’m getting moved because another department is more short staffed than my current one and hence struggling even more to get the needed work done in a timely fashion. We have a massive problem recruiting and retaining the right calibre of people – because CS pay is crap compared to what we could get in industry, and the “perks” only go so far in making up for that.
    We don’t have any of these “spend 20% of your time on …” policies – thankfully. If we did, then I would probably have been the subject of a few complaints from policy setters by now as I can be “a bit direct” at times.

    And those perks ? Well the pension scheme isn’t what it used to be, and generally manglement take every opportunity to shave off every little bit they can every time they can from everything else. It has genuinely reached the point where some CSs get very little above minimum wage.
    Only recently, I was reading a comment by someone else along the lines of “the bank account is empty for this month, I’ve enough petrol for one more trip to the office so I won’t be going in next week” (working from home being the norm for much of the time).
    And did I mention a whole decade of below inflation pay awards ? Then a year of no pay award at all – “pay pause” my backside, that’s doublespeak to be sure. And this year we’re expected to be grateful for another below inflation award. Interestingly, those in power seem quite keen to not have an independent review body for civil service pay – yet are happy to have one for themselves when it gives them big pay rises.

    Oh yes, and no, when I’m working from home, I’m not lazing about, doing the gardening, playing games, or any of the other things people seem to thing “working” from home means. It means I’m working, doing the same work, and expected to produce the same outputs as when trudging to the office 5 days a week was the norm. I might save on petrol, but then I’m using lecky and gas to run the computers and lights, and heat a room that would otherwise be the mostly unused spare bedroom (I’m lucky to have that space, many don’t).

    And what thanks do we get ? Well we get some playing silly buggers in No 10 and having drunken parties when most of us are abiding by the rules. We’ve just had a report that clearly shows a small minority have not been abiding by the civil service code or the Nolan principles – yet apparently are suffering no negative effects. And of course, we’ve the politicians using us as scapegoats to try and deflect from their own failings – assisted with glee by sections of the press.

    So stop believing the spin.
    The ones involved in the drunken parties do not represent the majority of civil servants – and quite frankly, most of us are appalled that those responsible (some were explicitly named in the report) are still in post. The vast majority of CS are there in the background, making things happen under difficult circumstances – usually too few people trying to do too much work. And when those difficulties cause problems, never are the press there criticising those responsible for inadequately resourcing the unction – no they are happy to bash the very people who’ve typically been trying to hold things together. The old saying that we the unwilling, have been doing the impossible, with so little, for so long – that we are no qualified to do anything with nothing seems appropriate.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *